Friday, April 11, 2014

Recovering Drama Queen

Ok...I admit it...
I'm a recovering drama queen...



I used to get swept up in the latest drama.... and I still catch myself getting caught up in gossip (or even sometimes spreading gossip myself!)...but I don't like it.  I don't like it one bit.

When I hear a headline story about “a train crash with dead bodies still screaming for help” I admit I sometimes click on these heart wrenching stories but then I start to feel really sad and upset….but some people love hearing these stories.  I don’t understand. I know these people are not bad people so why do they get such a thrill from hearing about these tragedies?  Why do people watch the news every day and talk about the latest tragedies.

When I got separated, and started writing about my feelings about divorce my readers/views DOUBLED then as my life started getting better, many of those people faded.  So, why is that we are so attracted to drama?  While I think that our minds natural gravitate towards something that is exciting, don’t people get that sad feeling and begin worrying about the people affected by these tragedies?  Have we lost our sense of empathy? About a year ago, someone posted a picture of a vehicle flipped over on a road near me.  The vehicle looked like my ex husband’s vehicle (which was carrying my 2 children at the time) and I was more than horrified for the next 45 minutes until I found out it was not his car. 

I realize that to be an active member of society it’s necessary to read things that are not always pleasant.  I force myself to stay current on the latest news even though it’s not always what I want to hear.  But, my question remains, why? Why do we like drama so much? Why can’t we focus on the good things life has to offer? Why can't we focus on each others strengths instead of tragedy?

No comments:

Post a Comment